Friday, December 7, 2012

Orange Muffins

 
 Being a full-time mom, working 45 hours/week, and going to school really does a number on my motivation and energy to cook and bake. I have been getting into a "pancake rut" lately where I just make plain pancakes for breakfast on days I don't work. Cam has finally caught on and doesn't enjoy the pancakes as much now. (Who really would if you had them every day, 3 days in a row?) I finally decided to get motivated again, but of course I still always stick with recipes that are easy, quick, and something I have all the ingredients for.
 
I happened upon a recipe on my favorite food blogger's website (who by the way, is a local and if I ever saw her out and about I would probably be that girl that asks for a picture and freaks out a little). As always, this recipe didn't disappoint. I was a little skeptical about how much icing it made, but 80% of it ended up dripping off anyways. The muffins were good, but with the icing, they were spectacular. It was just the right amount of sweetness to top these delicious muffins!
 
 
Did I mention that Camden ate three? Two were plain (he couldn't wait any longer) and one had icing. I also, shamelessly, ate three. 0:)
 
Orange Muffins
Yields: approximately 18 muffins
 
Ingredients:
 
For the muffins:
1 cup milk
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (2 oranges)
1/2 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
2 sticks unsalted butter, melted (16 Tbsp.)
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
zest of 1 orange (use one from above)
 
For the glaze:
1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp. orange zest
 
Directions:
 
Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line 18 muffin trays with paper liners. In a medium bowl, whisk the milk, orange juice, sour cream, eggs, and melted butter until combined. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in the orange zest with a spatula.
 
Fill the muffin pans with the batter and bake 18-21 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pans about 5-10 minutes.
 
To make the glaze, combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl and add more powdered sugar to make it thicker and more orange juice to make it more runny until you reach a desired consistency. Place the muffins on a cooling rack that is placed on top of the muffin trays. Drizzle the glaze onto the muffins and allow to cool.
 
Store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment