Sunday, June 2, 2013

The Medical Adventures of Our Family

About a month ago we decided to go visit Aunt Rachael so that she could visit with Camden before she trekked out of the country for her graduate work. Unfortunately that trip was cut short when Camden broke his leg. This is his story.
We decided to meet at Bremin Park in Terre Haute. It was a huge park with a smaller kids play area and a larger play area as well. Cam, Brad, and I were all having fun playing and of course I was taking lots of pictures.
Rachael and her boyfriend showed up and got in a few snuggles and then let him run around the play ground a bit before we headed to lunch. Since Cam usually loves slides so much I wanted to take him down a big one so we climbed to the tallest one and I set him on my lap.
On the way down, the bottom of his shoe caught on the side of the slide. I didn't think anything of it and just put his feet in the middle of my legs and we continued down the slide.
Cue the screams.
I thought he was scared at first since it was such a big slide. Poor guy! We tried to go to lunch but that didn't work out. I had a bad feeling so I tried putting him down on the ground to stand up and he wouldn't put his foot on the ground at all. Time to head home.
We headed to my moms house because he was calm and slept the whole way home. As soon as he woke up and we took him out of the car seat, it was screams all over again. I made a decision that it was time to go to the Emergency Department. ASAP!
They took an X-ray of his little leg and of course it was broken so they put a splint on for the weekend. That following Monday we saw a pediatric orthopedic specialist and they gave him a cool big-kid red cast.
Once it was casted, he was in much less pain and more mobile (crawling and scooting).
.. but that's not all ..
We went to a birthday party for Brad's best friend who has a son that was turning 3. I tried to take care of Cam because Brad hadn't seen his friends in a long time and I wanted them to visit.
My stomache was killing me that day. I thought it was the cake or candy or junk food I'd eaten at the party.
We went back to Brad's mom's place and she and Brad went out to the pond to feed the fish with Cam. Regardless of how awful I felt, I was determined to get some photos. :) 
And I did.
About an hour after that, Brad came back inside to me curled in the fetal position crying/screaming in back pain. He asked if we should go to the ED and I said yes.
Long story short, I got 6 needle sticks trying to get IV's started and blood drawn, a CT scan, and an US later ... I had gall stones. I had another attack as soon as we left the hospital too.
Gall stones are THE most painful thing I've ever experienced. Topping child birth, labor, and being in a car accident where I broke my leg. Painful.
So this past Friday morning I had laproscopic surgery to remove my gall bladder.
I'm still in pain but I know in the long run I won't be waiting around for that next gall stone attack. Now it's just time to get planning a super party for my best super hero Camden!


  1. Thanks for the floor pillow tutorial! I'm so making that for my toddler. Where did you get the "Cars" fabric? I see your hubby went to RHIT-I work at RHIT!! What year did he graduate? I think I knew him! Poor Camden-broken leg! Great blog!

    1. He graduated in 2005. Thanks! I found the tutorial on Pinterest and love it! I usually give them as gifts since they're so versatile and inexpensive.

    2. Oh and the fabric was from JoAnn! :)