Monday, January 23, 2012

Doggy Doctor Time

It's that time of year again. Everyone in the family is getting their annual check-ups and Cato was next on the list. Our sweet, lazy, 6-year-old mastiff was due for a visit to the veterinarian and I toted baby along (who squirmed his way out of the moby wrap).


It's so hard to believe that 6 years ago I saved this dog from the Indy Humane Society. He was the most docile and loving dog there. I have no idea why anyone would abandon this dog with such a great temperament! My mom fell in love instantly with him and from day one called him her grand-dog. He was about 60 pounds when I got him and they told me he was 4 years old; I've got the paperwork to prove it. The next day he went to the vet's office and they informed me that I had a puppy on my hands!!! Let the chewing begin...

He has been such a great buddy of mine throughout my college days and career days as well. Now he is a big brother to an amazing kiddo! He's so gentle with Camden and I absolutely can't get enough of both of them.

Anyone who knows me, knows I love this dog. I love him enough to save his life with emergency surgery (TWICE) in order to remove stuffing that he ate from a blanket and a dog bed. I love him enough to allow him to see a dermatologist veterinarian (Cha$ Ching$) to find out why his belly and paws get so red. I love him enough to continue to give him expensive anti-fungals to treat his dermatitis and pay for expensive shampoo. Given all this history, I'd have it no other way. I'm pretty sure I'd be bored if I didn't have Cato by my side all these years. He definitely keeps me on my toes.

He is currently 88 pounds, up about 3-5 pounds since last year, which the vet informed me is not so bad considering we have a new baby. The vet has a set of twins at home about Cam's age. All in all his visit went well and I'll get the blood work back tomorrow. I can't wait to get that definite A-Okay from the vet.

No comments:

Post a Comment